Monday, August 31, 2015

Dekalb, ILLinois

Low ceiling did not allow departure until afternoon. I was given a tour of the EAA museum. It would take 2 days to read all the placques. I was fascinated by how small The Spirit of St. Louis was! The windscreen was replaced by another fuel tank. The only forward vision was thru a side periscope! He landed at nite on a field that was lit by car headlites!

Upon arrival at Dekalb, I was met by Kris, a cancer patient, and members of the local EAA chapter. Then a strange twist of events occurred! Kris gave me a ride in his plane! First time in years I had been a passenger.

Kris is from Polland and moved to the US 
(Or should I say, he was kicked out by the Russions) during the time Polland was fighting for their freedom. I was treated like family and made more new friends.

I will head for home tomorrow. Not sure if I can make it. May have a late start again due to fog/low ceilings!

No comments:

Post a Comment